- Take the PSAT in 11th grade
- Sign up for the Khan Academy - Practice and prepare for the SAT or ACT
- Take the SAT or ACT in the spring or summer
March 11, deadline February 10
May 6, deadline April 7
February 11, deadline January 13
April 8, deadline March 3
June 10, deadline May 5
- College admissions sites open this year on July 1 instead of August 1 in order to give our top ten percent more time to get their admissions packets submitted
- If you are in the top ten percent, you must meet deadlines and have a SAT or ACT score in order to be automatically admitted. You must also graduate on the distinguished plan.
- College readiness means that you can enter college and take on level courses without remediation. Texas schools have the TSI (Texas Success Initiative) TSI is a state-legislated program designed to improve student success in college. Part of the program is an assessment to determine your basic skills in reading, mathematics and writing. All credit students are required by law to take an assessment test approved by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. Everyone must show that they are college ready in order to take college courses (not be admitted) Some smaller schools that are recruiting may admit you even if you are below college readiness levels. Then when you get to college you must take remediation courses. (These cost the same as regular college courses but do not count for college credit) College readiness benchmarks on the SAT are 480 in the reading and 530 in the math. If you do not have these scores, you can retest until you get them or take the TSI. You can take the TSI at a junior college or your target university.
- Study. Use your junior year to boost your rank. You will be admitted to college based on your first three years in high school
GET READY! Set up two college visits an optional but helpful item. You can also take virtual tours and/or call campuses for information. For more tips visit the counseling website) http)shscounselorscorner.weebly.com You can begin rough drafts of essays for prospective colleges in the spring. Allow your English teacher to help you revise it. Also, think about making a resume for senior year (template on back). This will make it easy to update for scholarship applications next year. Resumes include all of your activities and awards. Explore careers and volunteer this summer!